Hyundai Tucson Fuel Cell Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Experience so far with Leased Tucson FC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:25 pm 

We were the second ones to take delivery of the Fuel Cell Tucson. Picked ours up a month ago from Tustin Hyundai so have had some time to get used to it. These are our impressions so far:
1. Unbelievably quiet
2. Nimble handling and solid ride (much better in both areas than our RAV4)
3. Acceleration from a dead stop is actually very quick, and faster than we expected, even up the hill by our house. If trying to get all the way up to sixty from a stop then it is more in the normal range. Haven't had any problems at all passing cars, entering highway etc. on the busy highways in So Cal.
4. Right now we drive about 20 miles to fuel it, but because that station is close to airport and other of our normal activities we haven't made a special trip just to fuel yet.
5. There are two fueling stations opening within 5-10 miles from us the end of this October
6. With the fuel being included in this lease we have saved about $120 so far in comparison to a 30mpg gasoline vehicle and estimating gas at $4/gallon
7. Hyundai staff has been awesome from the very beginning and our fueling trainer is great!
8. Fueling is really very simple and has taken 6-8 minutes so far.
9. We are getting about 285+ miles per tankful
10. Things that are not available (these SUVs need to be the same as the ones already rolled out in Europe so can't modify) are cruise control, homelink, sunroof (due to where the US government said the sensor needed to be located) and at this time cannot put a hitch on it.
Overall we love it! I find it frustrating that every time I read an article about FCVs what is used as the example is the upcoming Toyota Fuel Cell, never mention of this Tucson which is already here, and has a significantly lower MSRP. It is also generally quoted that there are only 12 Hydrogen fueling stations available and neglects to mention how many are opening this year and next... Just should be a more accurate portrayal of the situation.

Post subject: Re: Experience so far with Leased Tucson FC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:01 pm 

The 12 is a scare tactic. There will be 59 by 10/2015 and 100 after that

Are you able to see the two fuel tanks or the 24 kwh battery? I'm trying to get the weights of each tank which are on a plate attached. Ditto the 24 kwh battery but I assume you can't access that. Does the owners manual have any weight specs or how much of the 24 kwh battery is usable. For example, the BMW i3 is rated 21.6 kwh but it will shut off at 18.8 to conserve battery life, so 18.8 is what you can actually use.

Can you guess at what the fuel cell stack weighs? I'm trying to explain the 4100 lb curb weight which is 807 lbs over the gas version

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:17 am 

FCVleaser wrote:
We were the second ones to take delivery of the Fuel Cell Tucson. Picked ours up a month ago from Tustin Hyundai so have had some time to get used to it. These are our impressions so far:
1. Unbelievably quiet
2. Nimble handling and solid ride (much better in both areas than our RAV4)
3. Acceleration from a dead stop is actually very quick, and faster than we expected, even up the hill by our house. If trying to get all the way up to sixty from a stop then it is more in the normal range. Haven't had any problems at all passing cars, entering highway etc. on the busy highways in So Cal.
4. Right now we drive about 20 miles to fuel it, but because that station is close to airport and other of our normal activities we haven't made a special trip just to fuel yet.
5. There are two fueling stations opening within 5-10 miles from us the end of this October
6. With the fuel being included in this lease we have saved about $120 so far in comparison to a 30mpg gasoline vehicle and estimating gas at $4/gallon
7. Hyundai staff has been awesome from the very beginning and our fueling trainer is great!
8. Fueling is really very simple and has taken 6-8 minutes so far.
9. We are getting about 285+ miles per tankful
10. Things that are not available (these SUVs need to be the same as the ones already rolled out in Europe so can't modify) are cruise control, homelink, sunroof (due to where the US government said the sensor needed to be located) and at this time cannot put a hitch on it.
Overall we love it! I find it frustrating that every time I read an article about FCVs what is used as the example is the upcoming Toyota Fuel Cell, never mention of this Tucson which is already here, and has a significantly lower MSRP. It is also generally quoted that there are only 12 Hydrogen fueling stations available and neglects to mention how many are opening this year and next... Just should be a more accurate portrayal of the situation.

Hi FCVLeaser, thanks for sharing!

Now that you've been driving it for a while, how do you like it?

Are you still excited about it?

Still getting 285+ miles per tank? I see the Hyundai site is advertising 265 miles so you are beating that...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:49 pm 

We still love the vehicle itself and happy to be driving it! Hyundai has been great about assisting us with any issues and also sent us to the Grammy MusicCares presentation to Bob Dylan. The NY Times and Bloomberg have interviewed us and word seems to be getting out better about the vehicle. People still don't really notice it though as it looks pretty much the same as all the other white Tucsons out there...

There have been some challenges though to the Hydrogen station infrastructure. Several stations that were showing as opening by the end of 2014 (including two near where we live) have been pushed back and the information posted on their opening dates isn't very accurate (such as the San Juan Capistrano station shows it opening a couple of weeks ago, but we have gone to the station and nothing is even being built).

Because of those delays, the existing stations are getting over taxed by the number of Hyundai, Honda, Mercedes that are fueling at them and consequently go offline. So currently there are only about 10 stations actually open and two of those are for transit only, not consumers. One of the 8 left has been offline for quite awhile and another is in Nor Cal, so inaccessible to us. We are concerned about what is going to happen when Toyota rolls theirs out the end of this year, and am hoping Toyota is supporting the opening of more stations by then.

Our range has gone down slightly to closer to 265, seemed to happen about when the stations started having issues, so we are assuming they are throttling back slightly at the stations to prevent problems with them. Is fantastic not paying for any fuel!

We can see the one hydrogen tank that is under the storage spot in the back where the spare tire normally would be. The Tucson only has one tank, whereas the Honda has two (350 each so fill is equal to our 700 bar in one tank) and I believe the Toyota will have two also, but different config than the Honda Clarity. The one tank in ours adds about 800 pounds to the vehicle as it is rated to about 30,000psi.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:10 pm 

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I've wondered how this is actually going. Since I live near to one of the 'future' hydrogen fueling stations, I'm waiting until it comes online before I consider the ix35.

It's sad to hear it may be later than the 'coming soon' listed on Hyundai's website!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:29 pm 

Because the CAFCP.org website is so out of date and we have offered to help them with it as volunteers to no avail, I have created a website at [url]fuelcellfuture.org[/url] that gives information about fuel cells in general, and also has a more accurate Hydrogen station list. Most of the information comes from actual leasers who contact station owners, station contractors and drive by the actual sites to find out updates. So far this info has been quite accurate and will continue to be updated on a regular basis. Because the actual stations opening has been far what we were told it would be a year ago when we first leased, it is important that people realize what the true situation is. Hyundai has been fantastic trying to work with the leasers in South OC on challenges, but so much of the station building and operating is out of their hands. For example, Fountain Valley, one of the more reliable stations, is closed due to a lack of operating funds. Newport Beach station's 700 fill (10,000psi) is down until September waiting for a part to be delivered and this has happened there before. UCI is slated to be upgraded and therefore closed from June 15 until August and since NB station has limited fill and San Juan Capistrano now won't be open until August that means South OC leasers will only be able to get a half fill for 1 1/2 months. With the amount of miles and time it takes to get to that station it likely won't even be worth it to go. Hyundai is trying to get this situation changed. While we love the vehicle, the technology, and Hyundai, the lack of fueling infrastructure and updating of that information has left us incredibly frustrated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:36 am 

Ciao FCVleaser, sorry for my English, as is now the situation of the stations? I wanted to ask, but for the hydrogen fueling your Tucson go there on purpose or is on the way you drive regularly? After almost a year of use as you tried? Alberto Italy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:29 pm 

hpx wrote:
Ciao FCVleaser, sorry for my English, as is now the situation of the stations? I wanted to ask, but for the hydrogen fueling your Tucson go there on purpose or is on the way you drive regularly? After almost a year of use as you tried? Alberto Italy

Ciao Alberto,
I can only speak for the situation in California but it has actually gotten worse. Of the six stations now open to consumers, three are down for months for repair, upgrade, lack of funds and so on. None of the open ones are near enough to us to be worth the drive to fuel so we won't be driving it for awhile. On a different note, we don't even have our Tucson right now anyway as it had a problem in the fuel stack and Hyundai has had it in for repair for a month with no news on when we will get it back. Other leasers are having theirs gone for 3-4 weeks just for maintenance and only sometimes get the loaner car we were promised when leasing. So after a year it is getting harder to stay positive even though we still believe in the technology. There are some people so upset they are considering returning the vehicle to Hyundai. Although there are more stations being built, the ratio of stations to fuelers will remain constant with more and more FCEVs hitting the roads.

We used to pretty much just fuel up when at the airport anyway and didn't make many drives just to fuel, but with that station down and the one being built near us not up until September, we have been making more fueling only trips.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:02 pm 

I agree; the fuel station situation (southern California, Orange County) is bad. The only reliable station in Orange County has been UCI and now it is scheduled to be closed for 7-10 weeks for upgrade. With Fountain Valley still offline and Newport Beach also consistently offline (except sometimes the H35 line has been available) the closest station for me is Torrance.

Other than that I enjoy the car and have not had any problems with it so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:14 pm 

FCVleaser wrote:
Because the CAFCP.org website is so out of date and we have offered to help them with it as volunteers to no avail, I have created a website at [url]fuelcellfuture.org[/url] that gives information about fuel cells in general, and also has a more accurate Hydrogen station list. Most of the information comes from actual leasers who contact station owners, station contractors and drive by the actual sites to find out updates. So far this info has been quite accurate and will continue to be updated on a regular basis. Because the actual stations opening has been far what we were told it would be a year ago when we first leased, it is important that people realize what the true situation is. Hyundai has been fantastic trying to work with the leasers in South OC on challenges, but so much of the station building and operating is out of their hands. For example, Fountain Valley, one of the more reliable stations, is closed due to a lack of operating funds. Newport Beach station's 700 fill (10,000psi) is down until September waiting for a part to be delivered and this has happened there before. UCI is slated to be upgraded and therefore closed from June 15 until August and since NB station has limited fill and San Juan Capistrano now won't be open until August that means South OC leasers will only be able to get a half fill for 1 1/2 months. With the amount of miles and time it takes to get to that station it likely won't even be worth it to go. Hyundai is trying to get this situation changed. While we love the vehicle, the technology, and Hyundai, the lack of fueling infrastructure and updating of that information has left us incredibly frustrated.

thanks so much for setting up your website; it looks nice! Curious about where you get some of the info - e.g. Newport Beach H70 not available until Sept? (Also, the address you list for the Orange CA seems wrong).

thanks again.